A note from David Haney, the Blog editor: 

You may or may not be aware that Ann was recently diagnosed with cancer.  This Blog will provide an avenue for you to get updates about Ann's cancer treatment and progress.  As Ann, Jack or Janet provide updates, they will be posted here.  A benefit for Ann and Jack is that it will allow them to focus on the demands of Ann's treatment rather than feeling bad that they don't have the time or energy to reply to the many inquiries.  

If you wish to submit comments at the end of posts, Ann and Jack will see those with appreciation for your interest and concern.

The chronology of blog content is such that the most recent post is at the top, and older posts are lower on the web page.

The following was written by Ann on March 3: 

From September last year, as staffing [for (son) David's care] has been so complicated until now, I felt slow loss of my usual rather feisty personality. I really did feel that I was on the edge of “perishing”. But in despair I still had to carry on.

Over those same 6 months I developed stomach problems. The doctor treated me for gastric reflux and a hiatus hernia, neither of which quite fitted the symptoms. Things deteriorated even more, in spite of the treatments. The Dr. referred me to a Gastroenterologist - first available appointment to be April or May. I began a rapid weight loss in a short time. Finally, my body rebelled, and I could not eat.

Jack and Janet were very distressed at my physical response to food. They insisted that I visit the emergency room. I was admitted at once, the next morning the gastroenterologist did an examination of the esophagus. It showed a cancer, in the pipe walls, and spreading into the inside. He took a biopsy.

No wonder I could not eat - there was no room for food to pass. Multiple tests, spectroscopies etc. helped define the situation. All those months I was blaming  myself for not coping with the stress.

Next steps are the usual, biopsy results, chemo, radiation, surgery, or all 3.

Prognosis so far is unknown.

The following was written by Ann on March 16:

Jack and I drove to Saint John Oncology Dept. yesterday and also for an appointment with the thoracic surgeon.

 We decided to take option "A". Option "A" involves:

Radiotherapy 5 days a week for 5 weeks. (23 doses), all in Saint John.

Chemotherapy concurrent with radiotherapy.

After 5 weeks + 3 weeks, then preparation begins (blood tests, health tests, etc.) for major thoracic surgery. Dr.  Johnson will cut an incision in the chest, plus between right side mid ribs, collapse the lung and clear operating space. He cuts the esophagus at stomach join where the cancer is and upper end about 3 ins. from the top. He removes this piece plus the cancer. He replaces it with a portion of stomach to provide a living tissue replacement esophagus. Re-inflates the lung. Sews it all up and everyone prays (I hope).

He explained the risks thoroughly to Jack and myself. And then we explained to Janet. We all agreed that it was worth the risks. Option "A" begins on April 5. My time is soon going to be taken up with the treatment.

Option "B" is palliative radiotherapy. Living with this thing is agony at times, weight loss will continue, health will decline. All three Drs. agreed that they felt that I could handle "A" mentally and physically.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog